Thursday, February 20, 2014

Review: The Lego Movie - Everything is NOT Awesome

First, let me say that the Lego Movie is cute. Cute, cute, cute, cute, cute, cute, cute.  However, it also marks the second animated movie in the past 3 months that has surpassed all monetary expectations and audience obsessions while simultaneously getting this response from me: meh.


Yes, as I said, this movie was downright adorable.  I loved the nostalgia of the Legos themselves and the many, MANY characters in the movie that have been created over the years in that little plastic form, like Gandolf, Wonder Woman and of course, Batman, who got all the best lines (although Dumbledore's high-pitched voice was slightly offensive as a thinly veiled reference to a bit of trivia probably only adult fans of Harry Potter know).  However, that reminiscence really only went so far for me, as the adult viewer.  On the other hand, I think Princess Uni-Kitty sustained my 10 year old daughter for the entire film.  She loved it, of course.  Warning to parents: there is a Lego character decapitation scene, second only to (no spoilers) a recent Walking Dead be-heading.

One of my favorite parts was when a Lego character attempted to use speech recognition to interact with a computer, with the usual difficulties we are all accustomed to.  The reason I particularly enjoyed it is that I work on speech systems and usually these specific theatrical moments are aimed at IVRs, but this one seemed more about Siri and I'm enjoying this trend.  The overall theme of "We're All Special!" is the mantra of Generation X and Y and drilled into the minds of their children of today, for better or worse.  Also, I know I'm supposed to love the theme song, Everthing is Awesome, but I expect better from Tegan & Sara, so, just no.

One more note: There is a nice live action sequence toward the end that was probably aimed more at making the audience buy more Legos than at actually fulfilling the storyline, but Will Ferrell sort of phoned it in and the child actor was also lackluster.  As if the opening weekend numbers didn't spell sequel already, the final moments of the movie set it up perfectly.

3.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment