Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Oscar Nominations 2014


Oscar noms 1/16/14

Dallas Buyers Club got an Oscar Nom, but not directing and those historically go in pairs, though I'm glad still for the recognition.  Ditto Philomena.  Especially after the Golden Globes, I really see NO surprises this year and can pretty much predict the winners: 12 Years A Slave (picture/directing), Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto, Cate Blanchett, Jennifer Lawrence - all deserved.  I miss Tom Hanks in the Acting category this year for Captain Philips. American Hustle got too  much attention this year and may walk away empty handed. Scripts may be up for grabs a bit as they tend to award based on which deserving movies didn't get any of the top prizes (and all but 1 of the noms are also nominated for Best Pic this year - boring - Way Way Back, anyone?) I still have a few of these movies to see, but other than a long overdue recognition of Bruce Dern, I see no upsets on the horizon.  One more note, I have to lodge a complaint that Croods was nominated, but not Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 - loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment