Sunday, May 25, 2014

Neighbors (at least I think that's what it was called, all I remember is Zac...) - Movie Review


Yes, I know Seth Rogen was in the movie too, but for the life of me, I can't remember him...I'm just kidding of course, Seth was naturally hysterical as always, but truthfully, Zac Efron is completely underrated and he proves it again in this movie.

A kind of Animal House meets The Burbs, this movie had me laughing throughout and reminded me both of my college days and my baby days, with a good balance of relatable jokes from both.  Yes, it's a bit bawdy, but honestly not as bad as I expected ;).  Oh, it's a bit excessive, but doesn't cross that invisible line that Million Ways to Die in the West did recently.  It's equally funny, but I'll give it a higher rating just for that.  Rose Byrne is surprising as the suburban wife with a party past.  She's the straight woman to Seth's bumbling husband, but her timing is suspiciously good, almost like she planned to be cast in a series of over the top comedies like Bridesmaids and last year's Internship.  Maybe the accent was throwing me off the scent...

The secondary cast members provide good support, but there are no stand-outs, which probably would have made this one of the funniest movies of the year, but it doesn't quite get there.  Also, actually being a parent myself, I kept wondering how they could leave their infant daughter alone in the house while they partied, plotted and sabotaged for hours night after night next door, which was a bit distracting for me as an audience member!

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment