Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mom, Bikers and, oh what the heck, God! - Mom's Night Out Movie Review

There has been a new trend in movies lately, well it's not new, it's one of the oldest ideas actually - God.  In movies like Heaven is For Real, Noah and Son of God, I knew about the religious aspects when I bought my ticket.  However, in Mom's Night Out, I did not.  This is a full on God movie, people, so just know that going in.  I saw all those other movies, so I don't have a problem with that theme in itself, but I like to know what kind of movie I'm paying for up front.  Of course, knowing that much ahead of time would not have saved this movie anyway (pun intended).

Rest assured, there is definitely an audience for this movie, and there were 3 older folks in the theatre with us to prove that point.  Sweet PTA moms and very small children might like it as well.  However, it was not funny and where it tried to be heartwarming, it failed almost entirely as well.  With a respectable cast with their hearts in the right places, I believe I have a right to expect more.  The best part was the much more than just a cameo role of Trace Adkins as a biker.  He wasn't quite a revelation, but he can actually act.   The lead actress you can tell was meant to burst on the scene with this movie, but I'm afraid she's going to have trouble building a resume off this one.

I guess I was looking for what the previews promised - a madcap, but sweet (rated just PG!) story about moms having a night away from their kids, but I did expect funny and didn't come to be told I'm good enough because Jesus loves me.  I know all that.

2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment