Thursday, July 10, 2014

Movie Review: Jersey Boys



Sorry, I went on vacation right after seeing this movie, so it's taken me awhile to post it, but even if I hadn't gone on vacation, I'm sorry to say I wasn't too excited to write this one.  It's not a bad movie, it's just kind of there.  Uh-oh, I think I just made you stop reading...but just in case you didn't, here is what I have to say about Jersey Boys.

Jersey Boys is based on a hit Broadway musical that should have stayed on the stage.  I'm sure it is great to see this kind of thing on stage, because I've seen several in this style (Saturday Night Fever for one) and they have been wildly popular in recent years, with some even successfully making the jump to screen (Mamma Mia for one).  However, in transitioning to the screen with Jersey Boys, a little more drama and a little less stage effects would have served the story better.  The music is fantastic and most of the acting is decent, but it's too polished overall (stage costumes) and the multitude of characters talking directly to the audience just don't work. 

My favorite moment was when the most passive member of the band goes verbally postal when the group falls apart, which may have been unintentionally funny.  I also enjoyed the little hints of the film's directory, Clint Eastwood, with one of his daughters playing a minor character in one scene and Clint himself gracing a "screen on screen" when one of the main characters is watching TV and it just happens to be playing an old Clint Eastwood movie.

Still, the story is interesting, if a little rushed and there are definitely funny moments, but the stage number at the end, involving formerly sinister characters and enemies smiling and singing together was what put it over the edge for me.  This too is a traditional Broadway stage ending, but it doesn't work for this story, at least on screen.  Let's reserve those for happy endings.  Neither the plot nor the future of Jersey Boys has that.

2.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment